Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

It's the Navy's birthday today too--235th!  Last year, since I was deployed on the Nimitz we celebrated together, but this year I'm stationed on an Army base and not even at work today, so I get the day to myself. Or actually, with my awesome husband!  First time ever!!

We celebrated with a great meatloaf dinner and had carrot cake for dessert (thank you, Aunt Mary Beth, for both recipes!).  Unfortunately, Mike got called back in to work to handle some maintenance stuff, and had to spend another hour or so at the office.  He's only been Company Commander for a few days, but I'm already learning to dread the ring of the work leash cell phone.  I've been there myself though, and I really do understand.  There's a great Chinese expression, "mei banfa," that pretty much means "what can you do?"--it fits these situations well.  My sweet soldier husband is pretty excited about this job, and he truly has a gift for this stuff, so I can't complain too much.

While he was at work I went over to Kyoungmin Unnie's place to study some Korean.  She is such a great tutor!  I learned things in half an hour tonight that I've been trying to figure out for three years.  Who knew the Korean alphabet made so much sense?  Or that the Korean word for "sassy" in the movie title My Sassy Girl (one of the greatest romantic dramadies ever) actually means something like "cutesie-drunk"?  (You kinda have to see the movie.)  I'm so grateful that Kyoungmin Unnie is willing to help me.

Oh, and I have to show off my birthday gift from Mike!


Pretty snazzy, huh?  He really does spoil me shamelessly, my husband.  I'm pretty sure this cost more than his Korean car.  I am excited about it, though.  I'm a bit afraid that I'll never learn it well enough to really take advantage of all of its bells and whistles, but I'm going to just keep playing with it until I figure as much of it out as I can.  I'm already thinking that the next time Mike is away training I'm going to spend the day at one of the palaces in Seoul and snap away.  Anyway, here are a couple of quick shots:




Fun!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, my darling!
    Sorry to interrupt your sound sleep.
    I guess you thank God for your awesome husband a lot. That's good. We also thank God for His blessing of 2nd daughter to us just as lovely as the 1st one.
    We are so happy for you. Ommah & Appah

    ReplyDelete