Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Odds and Ends

First, a cute baby picture, just because it makes me smile:


She's my friend Joy's daughter.  Joy told me, "She's still a baby, so she doesn't have a pretty face."  I begged to differ.
-------
"I heard," said Joy, "that in the U.S. women drink and eat cold things after they have a baby."  "Uh, I guess so, I don't know why they wouldn't."  "Oh, in Korea women only eat and drink warm things after they give birth, to keep their bodies warm."  She thought for a minute.  "I think American women must be stronger than Asian women."  At that, a mental picture from the Pearl S. Buck book The Good Earth popped into my head--when the Chinese farm-woman gives birth in the morning and is back at work in the fields by lunchtime.  "No, I don't think so."  I said.  I thought of another example.  "It takes a certain kind of fierce to walk around in sub-freezing temperatures in a miniskirt and four-inch high heels, like so many women do here."  "That's true," agreed Joy.
-------
I know Mike wrote about the KATUSAs--the Korean soldiers assigned to the U.S. Army.  I work with KATUSAs as well, and I never cease to be amazed at how smart these guys are.  Today I was walking through the office next door when I noticed one of the guys was reading something in English; I poked my head over his desk and asked what he was reading.  "Oh, it's just a textbook on financial derivatives."  Oh.
-------
I was in the KATUSA Snack Bar--our little Korean food restaurant on base--the other day in uniform.  As I was waiting for my take-out order, an older Korean guy walked past me, then turned and looked at my name tape.  "Wow--she's a Kim!"  I told him that my husband is Korean.  "Wow--good job!" he told me, flashing a thumbs-up.
-------
And one more picture, from the ah-pah-tu:

No comments:

Post a Comment