Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Date Night

Night shift is kind of a bummer--even when Mike and I are able to be in the same place, we're not on the same schedule.  (Mike actually spent last Saturday while I was sleeping cooking me gourmet food for the rest of the week!  Do I have the best husband ever, or what?)  We definitely make the most of the time we have together, though.  A couple of weekends ago we braved the icy chill and headed up to Namsan mountain, which is visible from the ah-pah-tu, but which takes a good 20 minutes to reach by taxi.  And yes, I gave in and accepted the taxi even though I'm usually all for the bus and subway--it was date night, after all, and very cold, and I was in a dress. 


 Our reservations were at 5:30, which turned out to be perfect--we got there with just enough daylight left to appreciate the view, then got to watch the sunset.  In warmer weather, I'm sure this pagoda by the tower would be a great spot to linger; it was too cold for us though, and we headed inside as soon as we could.


We ate at N Seoul Tower, on the top floor of the observation part of the tower. The restaurant is laid out so that every table has a view, and the seating area actually revolves, slowly, around the kitchen, so diners get a chance to appreciate the view from every direction.


The view is pretty spectacular.


Of course I liked this view a lot too:


Dinner was a prix fixe menu with five courses.  Yum!  The first was an amuse-bouche of a kind of ceviche.  (Whew, three languages in one sentence, and none of them Korean!)


 Next an appetizer, then soup.  This soup--a tomato bisque with some kind of melty parmesan tofu block--was spectacular.


The sunset was pretty amazing too.


Steak (of course) for my husband.


And my favorite part of the meal:  a berry compote dessert with ricotta cheese and lychee foam.  Fancy!


The night-time view.  Those long strings of white lights?  That's Seoul traffic.


After dinner we explored the observation level just below the restaurant.


Fun!

2 comments:

  1. That restautant looks like a beautiful place to eat at your date night. We've been to Nam San, but not to that place. At Nam San, Kay wanted me to carry her on my back and I said No. Of course, it was before we were engaged. I guess she was more aggressive than I was. Good to see you start a date night tradition. We love you.

    ReplyDelete