Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Weather

It has rained more in the last 24 hours than I have ever seen.  Ever.  My walk home from work yesterday felt like wading through a really long river; the water was almost to my knees in some places.  Apparently it's the most rain Seoul has had in a really long time:


SEOUL/CHUNCHEON - The heaviest downpours in a century pounded Seoul
and its surrounding areas on Tuesday and Wednesday, triggering
multiple landslides, urban traffic chaos, power outages and flooded
streets, roads and residential areas.

And my poor husband is in the field.  Stuck in the field, actually, since the roads are covered in water and many of them are closed.

Praying that we make our flight back to the U.S. tomorrow...

**Update**

Mike made it back to Dongducheon!  The trip that usually takes 45 minutes took over 5 hours (and we owe the Sergeant who came out to pick him up BIG TIME).  Kyoungmin Unnie called me around midnight to ask whether Mike made it back--right around the time they finally got back to base.  Unnie said that half of the base is flooded--she had to leave her car and literally swim home from work.



**Update #2**

It took Mike a couple of hours to get from the front gate of base to his office:

"turns out when I called you we were only through half the battle... the front of Casey was flooded... water level up to my shoulders.  They wouldn't let anyone cross the intersection to the front gate (there were floating cars = crazy!)... I was somehow at the right place at the right time (God's grace) and the Korean rescuers gave me a ride on a kodiak boat... weird."

No comments:

Post a Comment