Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Job

Day one of my new job last week went well.  I'm in the same office, but at a different desk, and doing a different job.  We're a pretty small shop--just a Lieutenant Commander, two junior enlisted sailors, and myself.  But we work closely with our ROK (Republic of Korea) counterparts--the Korean Navy officers in the corresponding analytical shop.  As he was walking out the door on Monday, the Lieutenant Commander causually mentioned that I should bring PT clothes, and be prepared to get drunk the next day.  "Uh, Sir?" was my response.  "Oh, our ROKs are taking us on a hike and out for a welcome dinner, which usually involves drinking."

Oh.

So I came to work early (so I'd have time to finish up before we left at 3:30), armed with tennis shoes and sunblock.  It only took us 30-45 minutes to hike up to Namsan Tower--a trip that had taken us 45 minutes by taxi the one time Mike and I had been up there.  The scenery was great, and I enjoyed chatting with the ROK officers.

Dinner was grilled pork and budae jigae ("base" stew) at a great local hole in the wall.  Turns out I only had a mini-glass of beer with dinner, although my poor Korean almost got me into trouble; at one point the ROK Commander asked, I thought, if I ate a lot--I replied, "oh yes, I eat a lot.  I love Korean food!"  To which he looked a bit confused.  Turns out he'd actually asked if I drink a lot.  I cleared that up as quickly as I could.

I'm looking forward to working with the new group!

1 comment:

  1. I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    호빠

    ReplyDelete