Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Random Notes

Whew, been busy with the new job.  It's going well so far, though, which I'm thankful for.  We got to have dinner with Uncle Kim, Komo, and the Unnies' and families on Saturday, and Michelle arrives tomorrow--fun!

~~~~

I was walking down the street in Itaewon yesterday when I was stopped by a college student who wanted input for her school project.  Having once been a college student needing research participants myself I was happy to oblige.  I was tickled at her subject--inter-cultural relationships.

Student:  "Would you ever consider dating someone from another culture?"
Me:  "Well, I'm married to a Korean-American, does that count?"

And on the questions went; some were actually a bit difficult, as Mike and I both grew up in the States--where there are "cultural" differences they're often southern vs. southern Californian rather than "Korean" vs. "American".  I could confidently answer one question, however--

Student:  Do you find Koreans attractive?
Me:  Sure do.

I could hear the girl giggling with her classmates as I walked away.

~~~~

They're getting ready for the holidays in the on-base stores.  And I do mean holidays-plural:  they've had Halloween candy out since late August, recently had a bunch of 4th of July paraphernalia on the sale racks, and just put up a new shipment of Christmas items.  I won't lie, I bought a few strings of lights and an ornament or two.  It was such a great selection!

~~~~

We went to dinner with a coworker of mine and his wife Friday night.  We went to a restaurant called "Mad for Garlic," and sure enough, after our meal we smelled a bit spicy for a couple of days.  The food was delicious--we had the "Dracula killer" appetizer, the seafood and garlic pasta, the "garlic snow" pizza, and jalapeno garlic rice with steak (my coworker was ordering for the table).  Our dinner companions were laughing at us because we were excited about dinner before the meal even started--just because the waitress gave us all tall glasses of water, with ice!!  This never happens in Korea!  If water is served at all, it's usually self-serve in small metal cups.  Never ice!  Craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment