Friday, January 13, 2012

Toast

Have I told you about toast?  Or toh-suh-tuh as it's called here?  It is not the dry, sometimes burned, breakfast carbohydrate we think of as toast in the states.  It's egg, veggies, and sometimes ham or another meat between two buttered slices of white bread, topped with magic sauce, and sometimes sugar.  Basically, it's delightful.  And at about a dollar fifty, cheap.

A toh-suh-tuh stand opened up on the subway platform where I change lines to get from Seoul to Dongducheon a few months ago, and I've been a frequent customer--it's definitely something I look forward to when I'm hungry but want to get on my way to see my handsome husband.  Now, the toh-suh-tuh lady is very nice, but I wouldn't recognize her if she showed up at the ah-pah-tuh with a freshly made snack.  But when I stepped up to the window yesterday, she was like, "Oh, long time no see!  You used to come often--where have you been?"

Hehe.

1 comment:

  1. My darling,
    I forgot about toast completely. Now you reminded me. Yes, it is interesting and I think it is clever. I heard that in Korea there is a franchise called (Isaac Toast) http://www.isaac-toast.co.kr/. The founder is a good Christian, he wanted to feed people with simple quaility food with a very low price so that no one gets hungry because they don't have money. Try it next time. Ah-ooh!

    ReplyDelete