Saturday, April 28, 2012

Training for the Manchu Mile

My handsome husband has promised to write about the Manchu Mile itself, so I'll just tell you about my training.  Since I'm a sailor, not a soldier, I didn't have any experience with rucking.  I mean, we carried our "sea bags" full of Navy gear around one morning at boot camp, but that was more trying to get us to quit than trying to train us for anything--we weren't even carrying the things on our backs, but upside down, without the straps, clutched in front of us.  So for my first training ruck I decided to keep it simple; 20 pounds or so in a backpack, walking around base.

Four miles was about all I could manage.  I started to worry.  Was it possible, in six weeks, to get my body ready for a march 22 miles longer than the one I'd just done?

My next training day went better, though.  I borrowed an actual ruck from one of the Army Officers that I work with, which made the load, this time 35 pounds, much more comfortable.  I also preempted the blisters by applying moleskin to my heels before I even started.  (Let me tell you, folks, if you're acquainted with blisters but not with moleskin, you're missing out.)  This time I finished six miles, including a few up and down a mountain to get to Namsan Tower.

I left the ah-pah-tuh and headed out by the War Memorial,




Around the outside of Yongsan Garrison and up between a couple of neighborhoods, 


then up the side of the (small) mountain.  I happened to time it just right to hit sunset.



I stopped at the top to take a few pictures (and a few long breaths).





My next walk was longer, but flat; I walked down along the park/walking path that's on either side of the river.  It's a nice area; there are basketball, tennis, and soccer courts, and the outdoor exercise machines that are so popular here.



I crossed the river on one of the bridges, and walked on the other side down to one of the other bridges.




On the far side of the river the walking path ran under the highway for a while.









After eight or so miles, I was happy to see one of the restrooms that are placed every so often along the path.


I took a similar route for my next training walk of about 13 miles.  By mile 10 or so I was starting to hurt. I was surprised by the laser water show that started just as I was walking under the bridge.  Since I hadn't brought my camera I had to snap a shot with my phone.


We passed through some beautiful scenery during the actual Manchu Mile as well--the cherry trees were still in bloom up in Dongducheon, but I was too busy trying to breathe as we hiked up the side of the mountain to do much more than glance around and admire the view.  There are some pictures from the event posted on Facebook, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment