Friday, January 28, 2011

More From Mike: Confusion

As you can imagine, Jean Anne and I get numerous stares riding the subway or walking down the busy streets of Seoul.  It’s not uncommon to see an Asian girl with a “foreigner,” but an Asian guy being with a “foreigner” is not something you see too often here.  There are two types of stares we receive, and they’re gender specific... the first type of stare is focused on Jean Anne and most often given by older Aorean women.  “Icy” may not be the most accurate term but according to my beautiful wife not all that far off.  I am sharing this based on what my wife says, because in all honesty I don’t notice these types of stares... but my wife has the most amazing radar for picking up these types of looks.  The second type of stare is focused on myself and is most often given by Korean men (both young and old).  Unlike those of the korean women, these stares are stares of puzzlement and confusion.  I get this overwhelming feeling that these people are wondering what in the world this beautiful girl is doing with that guy!  Perfect example:  last Friday we had dinner with Jean Anne’s co-workers at a Brazilian steakhouse in Itaewon.  We were being served by a Korean gentlemen in his 30’s.  But before I get into that, let me just say that every time my wife makes reservations under the name “Mrs. Kim” and arrives at the restaurant, she has to persuade them that she’s really the one that made the reservations.  Back to this Korean man... after couple rounds of him coming to our table and giving me a quizzical look, here’s the conversation he had with my wife: 
Waiter Man: You’re Mrs. Kim... you’re married to him?!
Jean Anne: yes!
Waiter Man while looking at me strangely: Is he rich?!
laughter...
Waiter Man: Is he smart?
Jeananne: He’s the best! 
Water Man is not convinced...
Waiter Man: How is he married to you?
Me: Mr. Waiter, can you stop asking her that question, because I ask myself every night, and I don’t want her to start questioning her decision as well!!!!!!!!!!!
go figure... 

No comments:

Post a Comment