Thursday, May 19, 2011

Country Roads

Today, for the first time in ten months of living in Korea, I enjoyed driving.  I wasn't even in my Jeep, I was in the dong-cha (Mike's car), which is badly in need of a wash and some power steering fluid.  But I wasn't in the city--that was the key.  I was driving all of our baked goods out to the range where the guys are training, north of Dongducheon.

There wasn't a whole lot of traffic, and the route was beautiful.  I saw my first Korean rice paddies.  (I also saw some kind of theme park or zoo; the sign said Paleolithic Area and there was a giant rock arch with a woolly mammoth and pterodactyl statue.  Interesting.)  Everything is flagrantly, gorgeously, green.  As much as I enjoy the convenience of Seoul and the views from my apartment, there's something about being surrounded by green mountains that I miss when I'm in the city, especially this time of year.

The next time I'm in Dongducheon while Mike's working I think I might drive up that way again and explore a little more.

1 comment:

  1. This was your first time driving country side? Wow, you don't know what you are missing.
    Korea has at least 50% mountain in her land. The mountains are beautiful. You must try Sorak mountain and also the East sea. It is only 2 - 3 hours drive from Seoul. But Pusan is your top priority if at all possible. We love you. Appah & Ommah

    ReplyDelete