Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Family

Dinner at Kyoungmin Unnie's new ah-pah-tu last night.  We called to see if we could just stop by and say hello, since Unnie recently got back from the field, and because we hadn't seen her husband and daughter since they've been in Korea.  Mike was the one talking to Unnie on the phone, but I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this:

Sweet husband:  Hi Noonah! (guys call older sisters or close friends/relatives "Noonah," gals use "Unnie")
Sweet Unnie:  Michael!  How are you?
Sweet husband:  Good!  You're back from the field!  Annie and I want to come say hello, have you eaten?
Sweet Unnie:  Yes
Sweet husband:  Ok, we'll just stop and grab something for the two of us on our way over
Sweet Unnie:  Don't do that, I have "pap" (rice, or a generic term for food).
Sweet husband:  Are you sure?  [thinking, yes!  homemade Korean!]
Sweet Unnie:  Of course!
Sweet husband:  Ok, we'll be there in a few minutes.

So sweet Unnie cooked for us, delicious dubu kimchi with side dishes and fruit for dessert, and we played with 2-year-old Junie (I'm not sure that's how she spells it) and chatted with Unnie and her husband.  I gave Unnie a "housewarming bucket" with some basic kitchen and cleaning supplies--which probably would have been more useful had I been able to get it to her when she first moved in, and they gave Mike and me hats (it's cold here!).  I'm continually thankful for family.




2 comments:

  1. i miss kyoungminee unnie and junie!!!!

    hey jean anne can you email me your mailing address?

    ReplyDelete
  2. junie - joo woo ni is probably closer pronunciation. Joo means Lord. Woon (or eun) means grace. We add -i to the name when we call.
    You probably know she has an English name Alison(I hope I spelled right). But junie is fine too. ah-ooh.

    ReplyDelete