Thursday, November 18, 2010

Update From Mike

Hello family and friends! I apologize for my lack of due diligence with this blog site. My dad calls this "Annie's blog" and questions why my name is even a part of it, haha. Hopefully I can buy myself some time with this entry...

It's been such a hectic past month! I can't believe it's already been
a month since I've taken command. It's been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences I've had in the Army thus far. The Company leadership (First Sergeant, Platoon Leaders and Platoon Sergeants) are extremely professional and competent, and the soldiers are really great. I'm humbled daily as I stand in front of formation, privileged to lead these men. I just returned from two weeks of tank gunnery training. Now let me just say that the Army is a daily grind. There's nothing like a group of Army soldiers getting together and complaining--we have a lot to gripe about.  However, it's those few incredible times where we experience something unique that pulls us back for more. Gunnery is one of those times. There's nothing quite like being in a tank when it's slinging steel down range.

Just being a part of a crew when the 120mm main gun recoils and shoots
a round directly into the center of a target 2500m away is truly amazing.  Both of my crews shot distinguished (the highest qualification) and we all celebrated with a victory cigar provided by Mr. Babin (thank you!). Kyoung Min Noonah was also at the same training site and bought me lunch every day that I wasn't at the range. It's so great having family here, and I'm glad I can be at a place to help her out if she needs it. Her husband and daughter come to Korea at the end of November--please keep them in your prayers. Jean Anne and I had lunch
with Uncle Paul a couple of weeks ago, which was great. He invited us
to come to the class he teaches at Yonsei University-we're hoping to get a chance to go in the next couple of months.

Speaking of family and friends... I MISS THEM! I miss my parents,
uncles, aunts, and cousins. AND I MISS MICHELLE!!! I still can't fully
comprehend how my sister is so much cooler and more talented than I
am. I'm sorry to say I won't be making it back to the states for the
holidays, but you all will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.
Please keep my cousin Emily in your prayers. Here's a video that Uncle
Dan put together explaining her situation:

Aside from that, not much else is going on. We're enjoying Korea,
especially Seoul. Jean Anne and I hiked up Soyosan, the mountain close
to Camp Casey, the other day. I'm sure she's going to put up some
beautiful pictures, but don't let her entry fool you. We climbed over
1000 steps! I kid you not! My thighs were burning!!! Was it beautiful?
Sure... but it was not the easiest of hikes. I'm not the biggest fan
of walking to begin with, and those stairs were no joke.

Please continue to keep us in your prayers... I will try to publish
 entries more frequently.

1 comment: