Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Names: Two Funny Stories

One of my very favorite activities in the whole world is to curl up in the crook of my handsome husband's arm and exchange stories about our day.  Or days, if I haven't seen him in a few.  Somehow my funny stories seem funnier, and even my frustrated or angry or sad stories seem a bit funny, when told from the comfort and safety of my sweet husband's hug.  This has nothing to do with the two funny stories I have for you today--I just thought I'd share.

Story #1:  My hardworking husband was a day late coming down to Seoul last weekend (not funny) because he got pulled into "Courtesy Patrol"--policing up drunk and/or rowdy soldiers in "the 'Ville" just outside post, from about 10 p.m. to 4:30 the next morning.  (Like I said, not funny.  Or fun, for that matter.)  He was standing in one of the local bars with his Sergeant, warming up before heading to the next potential trouble spot, when a soldier approached him.  "HEY Sir!" said the soldier, giving Mike a big hug.  Mike returned his greeting, albeit with a little less enthusiasm, trying to figure out if he'd ever met this soldier, and if so, where and when.  The soldier noticed the look on Mike's face.

Drunk soldier:    "Sir, you don't remember me?!"
Sweet husband:  "Uh....."
Drunk soldier:     "I can't believe it!  I carried you like three miles back to your quarters that one night you got crazy at Johnny Bar!"
Sweet husband:   "Yeah, I think you're confusing me with someone else."
Drunk soldier:      "No way!" points to Mike's uniform, "CPT Kim!  CPT David Kim!"
Sweet husband:   "Uh, it's actually CPT Mike Kim."

Awkward silence followed.


Story #2:  As I've mentioned before, I work in the fourth story basement.  There are A LOT of stairs between my office and the rest of the organization.  On this particular day, I had called one of the other offices with a question, but then ended up having to trudge upstairs for an unrelated issue.  I walked in the office upstairs and started talking to one of the Sergeants, when the Lt Col noticed me.  "Oh, Lieutenant Lee, I'm glad you came up--I was just going to call you back." The Sergeant looked at me, then looked at the Lt Col, then (pointedly) back at me.  "Oh, wow," says the Lt Col, "did I just call you LT Lee?"

Awkward silence followed.

1 comment:

  1. My darling,
    Thank you for sharing funny stories.
    It brings us much joy in just thinking of you and Michael to be such a loving and happy couple.
    We love you. Ommah & Appah

    ReplyDelete