Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Seoul Folk Flea Market


I am a fan of flea markets.  My fascination began in college, when I discovered the huge flea market just off the interstate, at the same exit as my rural Tennessee university.  Who knew people sold antiques, plastic toys from China, silverware sets, and dilapidated furniture all in the same place, on the side of the interstate?!  I subsequently became a Goodwill / Salvation Army / random junk shop shopper, purchasing my first set of dinnerware from such for a grand total of $9.47.  And my fascination only grew with the discovery of Asian junk markets in China.  What could be more awesome than a random collection of reproduction pottery, Mao buttons, old posters, and jadite?!  So when I discovered the Seoul Folk Flea Market, I knew it was a must-visit.

Sweet, long-suffering husband and I set out a couple of weeks ago to do a recon.  What a fun place!



My handsome husband, I may have forgotten to mention, did not think he was a big flea market fan.  He said that since my eyes lit up when he mentioned it, he'd go with me, but I don't think he expected to actually enjoy it.  Oh little did he know!  For you see the flea market has something for everyone.  First, it was the old records selling for about a dollar each that started to change his opinion.  Then the food court sealed the deal.



We're both a fan of Asian food courts.

This meal?  About $9.

We wandered for an hour and a half or so, until the vendors started covering their stalls with blankets to go home for the night.  We were on our way out when Mike spotted a chest perched on top of some other furniture.  "That's pretty cool."  "Oh wow, I've been looking for one of those!" I said.  We asked for a price; it was reasonable.  We decided to return another day with the car.

The next weekend we braved Seoul traffic and found our way back.  My sweet and long-suffering husband was feeling a little under-the-weather.


So we found this guy, selling some kind of herbal / honey / vitamin medicine drink.


 Looks...delicious....

We wandered for a bit, then circled back around so that I could get a picture of this guy:

 Hehe.

We then made our way back to the chest we'd picked out.  It's not an antique, but we liked the design and the price tag, so we bought it.  We made it safely back to the ah-pah-tu, and installed our purchase in its new home.


Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment